30 Simple Social Media Conversation Starters
aaron • October 01, 2012 • 0 Comment
Now that you’ve worked hard on getting people to ‘like’ your page through your advertising campaigns, some exciting Facebook contests, a couple of interesting guest posts and other branding exercise, you may wake up realizing that you’re not quite sure how to keep all the fans that you now have. And this is just the beginning; the next road is a long one where you’ll need to keep talking to your audience while keeping them interested and engaged with your page.
Some say that social media is like your first date. You may be good at getting dates, but once you’ve actually get them, you’ll need to keep them from leaving… you..
There are many ways of keeping someone engaged with you, but one thing’s for sure – if you want to start a conversation, you’ll need to ask the question. Questions are great to get your audience to comment and contribute to the topic. That is why I’ve come up with a list of questions that you can ask your fans.
There are many different types of conversation starters. Here are a few conversation starters and how some great examples of using them.
Types of conversation starters.
1. Related to your industry
If you’ve targeted your fans correctly, then it is likely that your fans had liked your page to keep in touch with your industry. Keep your audience listening by sparking conversations about your main industry.
2. Random Questions
It’s the element of surprise – that brilliant randomness, those silly questions, and that Gangnam Style. Surprise your audience and spark their interest with some out of the world questions.
3. Personal Interest
Got an interest? A hobby? A game of football? A bite to eat? A pint to drink? Share personal interests by asking your audience what they do when they’re off-duty. Get up close and personal and build stronger relations with your audience by listening to they’re up to.
4. Helping others
Help your fellow community member by asking frequently asked questions and helping a fan out. Present questions to the rest of the audience and help solve their problems. It’s all about community spirit! Alternatively, you can help others by putting the spotlight on them and allowing them to share their page, blog post for others to check. Here is an example by Social @ Blogging Tracker
Below are 30 conversation starters for your social media accounts.
- What’s your biggest question about ______. Our experts will answer them.
- What’s your #1 goal to achieve in ______ this month/year?
- What books are you reading this week?
- What is your favorite _______ blogs?
- What do you usually share on social media?
- What is your biggest challenge in ________
- What excites you every day?
- What’s the best article you read today/ this week?
- If you could be anywhere right now, where would you be?
- My favorite thing about ____ is _____
- What are your plans for the weekends?
- What’s in your book list that everyone should read?
- Where do you usually blog / tweet?
- What are your biggest mistakes in ___ when you started?
- If you could have dinner with anyone, who would it be?
- What Facebook page would you like to share with us?
- What song / quote describes YOU?
- What’s number #1 on your to-do list today?
- How often do you check your email / Facebook / Twitter?
- How many times do you log into Facebook a day?
- Who’s your biggest role model?
- What is the first book that you read that changed your life?
- Coffee or tea?
- Chocolate or cheese cake? (one of my most responded questions, best answer was … chocolate cheese cake)
- If you could re-invent something, what would it be?
- What do you love most about _______ ?
- When was the last time you were really nervous?
- Whose life do you wish you could live for a day?
- What film have you most enjoyed this year?
- What’s the thing/page/ would you consider yourself a “number one fan” of?
Hope you like the list and don’t hesitate to share it out if you do. If this is something you would like more of, then I’ll come up with 30 questions every month in the hope that it will inspire you to post more questions and get your fans to engage with you.
What would you add to the list? Share them below and it will be in our next post.
Photo credit: by R_x – renee barron (creative commons)